A hair transplant is an effective way to add more hair to the area that may be balding or thinning. It is a surgical procedure; hair is taken from other parts of the body or thicker parts of the scalp and grafted to the balding or thinning area. About 50 % of women and 60% of men experience hair loss issues, and they often use various products to address this. Hair transplant is one of the most popular hair restoration methods.
Are Hair Transplants Successful?
Hair transplants are more successful in comparison to other hair restoration procedures. The success rate will depend on the type of hair transplant you receive, the expertise of the surgeon who performs your procedure, and the amount of healthy hair you have currently.
- 10% to 80% of the transplanted hair grows back within three to four months.
- Transplanted hair can also thin over time, like regular hair.
- The transplanted hair starts behaving like natural hair within two to four weeks of transplant. After that, the roots start sprouting hair naturally, and this continues for a lifetime.
- The results vary from person to person, depending on your quality of hair.
Is Hair Transplant Worth The Price?
Hair transplant cost in India depends on the number of grafts you require. The more the grafts, the higher the cost will be. A hair transplant is worth your expense; it provides you with long-lasting solutions which eventually save you money on other products. The cost will depend on:
- The extent of your transplant procedure.
- Experience of the surgeon.
- The technique chosen for surgery.
Hair transplants come under the category of cosmetic procedures, so health insurance doesn’t cover them. Some medications for aftercare are also added to the final cost.
What Are The Techniques Of Hair Transplant?
There are several types of hair transplant surgeries that have been developed for the regrowth of hair. FUT (Follicular unit transplantation) and FUE (Follicular unit extraction) are the two most common techniques. In the FUT technique, the surgeon takes a strip of hair from the back of your scalp and extracts hair follicles. In FUE, the surgeon takes hair follicles directly from your scalp. The Direct Hair Transplantation technique is a modification of the FUE technique. It is superior to the other methods.
How Does Direct Hair Implantation Work?
In the FUE technique, the surgeon manually cuts channels in your scalp before implanting hair follicles. Whereas in the DHI technique, a specialized pen-shaped tool is used to do both at the same time. Here’s how your procedure will go during a DHI surgery:
- The surgeon will shave the area that requires a hair transplant.
- Will apply local anesthesia to numb that area for the surgery.
- The hair follicles will be loaded into the pen-shaped tool and then implanted in the balding area.
- The surgeon will apply an antibiotic cream to the area after completion of the hair implant procedure.
- The area is then covered with bandages on all sites.
Direct Hair Implantation surgery will take about eight hours to complete. The exact time can vary depending on the number of hair follicles that need to be transplanted.
Who Should Go For A Hair Transplant Procedure?
People who are suffering from androgenic alopecia make the best candidates for a hair transplant procedure. It is the most common type of hair loss, and the condition is generally referred to as female or male pattern hair loss. Here are a few characteristics that make you a good candidate for hair transplantation:
- An individual should be over 25 years of age to get hair implants. Hair loss is unpredictable before this age.
- People with thick hair usually get better results than people with thin hair. The reason is thicker hair gives more coverage to each hair follicle.
- Donor hair density is an important factor. An individual whose hair density is fewer than 40 follicles per square centimeter at the donor area is a poor candidate for hair transplants.
- An individual whose hair color is light or close to the skin tone achieves the best results.
People who have realistic expectations are likely to be satisfied with their hair transplant results.
Aftercare Tips For Hair Transplant Surgery
- You have to wait for a few days after the surgery to wash your hair, as directed by your surgeon.
- Do not comb down or press a brush over the new grafts for about three weeks.
- Do not wear pullover shirts or hats until your doctor gives approval.
- Do not exercise for about a week or so.
You will be able to return to normal activities in about three days. There is nothing to worry about if some hair falls out; it is a part of the process.