The onset of a pandemic enforced a complete rethink of the ways that we had been accustomed to living our lives. Perhaps one of the most significant among them was the online life that impacted many aspects of our routine. One such was online doctor appointments and consultations.
With physical contact confined to emergency hospitalisations only, we awoke to the ways of online doctor appointments and consultations. Post pandemic, the convenience of accessing doctors without the rigmaroles of calling up or visiting a doctor’s clinic seeking an appointment, being allotted a date some days away, or frantic searches for earlier available options, opened up new vistas in accessing almost instant medical advice. The convenience of choice of doctors with a single click, gained fast acceptance.
The growing popularity of online doctor appointment seekers had many OPDs of major hospitals and clinics continuing with online consultation facilities and robust online doctor appointment booking facilities. In addition, Doctors too found online consultations extremely useful as they could serve more patients in a given time span. Increasing numbers of doctors made themselves available for online consultations. In addition, Medicine supply apps too enlarged their services and engaged as complete medical facility aggregators. Online doctor appointments and consultations established a firm foothold in healthcare service delivery.
When to seek an appointment with a general physician
At the first signs of sickness, the doctor to be consulted is the General Physician. A general physician or GP is usually qualified as an MBBS and may often hold an MD degree too.
First signs of sickness may be:
- Headache or migraine
- Influenza, cold, fever or viral infection
- Chest infection
- Shortness of breath or asthma
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sudden weight loss
- Joint pain
- Abdominal pain
- Pelvic pain
- Lumps and bumps on the skin
- Depression or confusion
- Urinary tract infection
- Insect bites
- Fungal infections
In all such instances or any other sign of discomfort, the first doctor to consult is a general physician.
How to go about seeking an appointment with a general physician
An online doctor appointment is scheduling a video consultation with a doctor. In addition, You will basically discuss exactly in the same manner as you would at an in-person appointment. You connect to the doctor using your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Most major clinic and hospital chains, health services aggregators and others in the medicine and healthcare delivery system have built up online apps or portals that enable you to book an online doctor appointment. In addition, Here are the basic steps that will take you through to the online appointment booking with a general physician.
- As you open the app or portal of the clinic or hospital of your preference, or simply try out any of the several listings as you search for general physician online appointments, you will first need to submit the location where you are seeking the appointment.
- You are likely to be asks to select the specialities, symptoms, diseases or treatments that you are looking for. Select General Physician or General Medicine as may be showing in the drop down that would usually appear in this selection.
- As you submit your requirement, you will be shown all the doctors practising as general physicians at the hospital, clinic or lists as such with the health services aggregator. In addition, The availability schedule of each doctor showing the days and timing of availability will also be showing next to each doctor. Most portals or apps will also show the fees charged by each doctor. An option for booking appointments online will also show for each doctor.
- You are expectes to peruse through the listing and based on your convenience of date, time and fees, or, the choice of specific doctor, you click on the book appointment option.
- You will be promptes for providing details of the patient and any other information that may be needed by the specific hospital, clinic or aggregator. You are likely to be verified as genuine through a verification process – usually an OTP over your phone or e-mail or sometimes both.
- Next you may be asks to choose between an online consultation or in-person visit by some apps or portals.
- Once the slot is confirms you are likely to be asked for payment of the consultancy fees online.
- You make the payment through any of the options offered and your payment is successful.
- You are likely to be given an online confirmation of the schedules doctor, date and time instantly online.
- You either show up in person at the appoints place, date and time or connect with the doctor as is likely to have been instructe through video conference.
- The consultation proceeds thereafter as usual with discussion of symptoms, ailments, physical examination etc. till the doctor arrives at a diagnosis.
- You are issues a prescription with findings, details and advice as usual online or in person depending on the nature of the connection (in clinic or online) with the general physician.
Bajaj Finserv Health lists several general physicians as well as doctors in almost all specialities across the length and breadth of India. You may avail of their services online at the click of a mouse.
Online appointment with general physician is a wise choice
An online appointment with a general physician comes with manifold advantages.
Instant Attention: You access prompt, almost instant medical attention when you book an online doctor appointment.
Complete Privacy: Privacy in online doctor appointments is ensures as neither you nor the doctor know each other.
Immediate availability: In most cases, online doctor consultation happens instantly as you complete your appointment booking. No waiting time at OPDs, clinics or chambers.
Comfort and convenience: You access medical consultation from the comfort and convenience of your home.
No chance of cross infection: catching a different infection is a risk that you run with every visit to an OPD, clinic or doctors’ chamber. There is no such risk in an online appointment.
So, the next time you need medical attention, go for an online appointment with a general physician. It is a welcome addition to the modern-day healthcare system.